Friday, May 16, 2014

Pixellation Development



After the small sketches I made of pixellation studies I wanted to get on to making larger versions to accompany my diorama painting. Just as with the text-based paintings I wanted to begin with an umber layer so that there would be some depth in the layers of the work and also to assist in seeing what areas have been painted in or not. I generated the ordering of the squares by using a random number generator. Starting at the top left hand side, I generated numbers between 1 and 10, re-doing the generation if I got the same number twice in a row. So far I have only painted in the white squares (number 1), but I am going to work my way through a range of greys (numbered from 2-8, increasing in numerical darker the more black that will be added to the mix), before painting in the final black squares (number 10). I am painting from light to dark for the practical reason that working with wet paint the colours may smudge together a bit and it will be better to accidentally mix a small amount of a lighter colour with a darker colour than a darker colour in with a lighter colour. I have taped the bottom of the work by about 10 cm so as to keep a section of the panel I am painting on as exposed wood. This is because I tend to work in a very precise and detailed manner, and I am trying to bring more elements of experimentation into the painting stage of the work. I am excited to see how this combination of finished and unfinished surface will work together, particularly because I really love the colour and warmth of timber.

No comments:

Post a Comment