Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Preliminary Artist Research Continued



Hieronymus Bosch, The Last Judgement, 1482, oil on wood, 163 x 247 cm


Pieter Brueghel the Younger, La Chute des Anges Rebelles, 1562, oil on panel, 117 x 162 cm


Caspar David Friedrich, Abtei im Eichwald, 1809-1810, oil on canvas, 110 x 171 cm

For more clarification on what I would like to theme my paintings around this semester I have done a bit more looking for work that appeals to me, with these works taken from Fantastic Art edited by David Larkin (1973, Ballantine Books, London). These works appeal to me both aesthetically and thematically, which I realise all reflect some disquieting elements and symbolism. The Last Judgement and La Chute des Anges Rebelles I enjoy because they have strong illustrative and narrative feelings to them. I love that the picture plane is filled with imagery, giving plenty of visual interest to the viewer, and the colours are rich and eye catching. On the other hand, Abtei im Eichwald by Caspar David Friedrich is arresting in its minimalist palette and selected filling of the frame, and I think it explores the same thematic concerns of apocalyptic visions, but in a successfully alternative manner. I am both inspired by this minimalism of palette and the filling of the frame with pictorial elements, and I would like to somehow incorporate both of these elements into the work I will be generating.


No comments:

Post a Comment