Saturday, March 1, 2014

Preliminary Artist Research


As preliminary research for developing my own imagery, I have been flicking through art books and highlighting any works which I feel I am interested in and have noticed a common theme of dystopia. Each of these artists works very differently stylistically, but I feel there is an undercurrent in each of darkness, imperfection and symbology. I have also noticed that I have been predominantly selecting artists who work with landscapes, so I think this is the premise I should work with to direct myself this semester. I think the reason I have been drawn to these works is the appealing aesthetics of the artists' colour palettes which generally seem quite muted, which is starting to make me consider creating a series of work only using black and white. I think it will be interesting to see what results from setting myself rules such as limiting my palette, and hopefully in a realist sense will give me more time to work on the imagery itself, rather than worrying about resolving colour.

L S Lowry, Coming Out of School, 1927, oil on plywood, 34 x 53 cm

Andrew Wyeth, Christina's World, 1948, tempera on panel, 81 x 121 cm

Salvator Rosa, Rocky Landscape with a Huntsman and Warriors, 1670, oil on canvas, 142 x 192 cm

William Holman Hunt, The Scapegoat, 1854, oil on canvas, 86 x 140 cm

Ernest Meissonier, The Barricade (Memory of Civil War), 1848, oil on canvas, 29 x 22 cm

Pieter Bruegel, The Hunters in the Snow, 1565, oil on wood, 117 x 162 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment